Thursday 6 October 2016

Inky Awards 2016/ Part 1: The Judges

Hi everyone! Today it’s just me, Saturn, because only I attended the awesomesauce event -Luna had extra maths class after school:(:( [Luna did manage to come at the very end though].


This was my first year going to the event and when I ran in late (train delays), I thought WOW! (not in the shocked wow way)

There weren’t that many people.

Maybe a) it was raining and b) it was a Tuesday and everyone was at school. But still, I expected a little more. The really small crowd made the atmosphere a bit anti-climatic for me. The claps were restrained, and considering it was a room that echoes, every loud sound reflected how little people there were.

However, what the awards ceremony lacked in people, it made up for enthusiasm. The teen judges were fantastic, speaking with passion and humour. Only three managed to attend though, 1 from Tassie and 2 Victorians. I only vaguely remember what they spoke about but I definitely remember their last words.

They were giving advice for aspiring Inky awards judges.

One directly quoted a Cindy Lauper song “I see your true colours shining through and that’s why I love you”. I assume he is saying ‘be honest’. The last judge to speak echoed his advice saying be honest about your reviews - criticise but give praise. The other judge’s advice was simply this:  when doing your video submission, put lots and lots of books in the background. He did exactly that to try and show he was an avid reader.

Basically, the judges themselves were really nice people, and what we love about the Inky Awards is that the books are chosen by young adults, shortlisted by young adults and voted for by young adults too!

Please tell us your thoughts on the Inky Awards, and we'll be posting Part 2: The Authors very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment